Establishing a network of environmental safety observatories of IESS (International Environmental Safety System) in the Baltic Sea Region
Purpose of establishing:1
Identification and systematization of precursor processes of emergency situations (ES) by the factor of dangerous man-made and natural environmental pollution. For example, at a sudden change of toxicity in transit, depositing and contact media (air, water, soil, bottom sediments).
Early diagnosis, assessment, forecast of occurrence and timely warning of the threats to environmental safety by factors of chemical and biological environmental pollution.
Identification of new and insufficiently known toxicants of natural, man-made and natural- man-made origin in environmental objects and registering them in international data banks.
- To develop the concept of telemetry measurement systems for environmental monitoring (TMSEM) by various factors of environmental pollution in the Baltic Sea Region.
- To perform systematic analysis of the structure and basic functions of TMSEM.
- 3)To conduct comparative analysis of international experience in the implementation of TMSEM of different purposes (structure, functions, hardware design of functional blocks).
- 4)To develop a functional block diagram of a unified hybrid research platform of a network environmental safety observatory of IESS.
- 5)To develop recommendations for the development and practical application of TMSEM, providing the receipt of relevant real-time environmental information for synthesizing centers of IESS of the Baltic Sea States.
- To provide guidance and practical management of conducting sea experiments to validate remote and contact TMSEM.
- To develop and to implement methods of verification and situational mathematical models of pollutants migration in the environment.
- To receive long-term space-time series of data on the migration of pollutants in the environment, in respect of the territory covered by a specific TMSEM and its individual stations.
- To provide the integration of environmental safety observatories into the international research networks for environmental monitoring.
- Establishing an international network of environmental safety observatories of IESS in the Baltic Sea States.
- Creating a unified hybrid research platform of remote and contact telemetry systems for real time monitoring of environmental contamination processes, providing:
- putting into operation of TMSEM and research complexes of network environmental safety observatories on the territory of the Baltic Sea States, providing timely factor (in real time) and integral multifactor environmental monitoring of environmental pollution processes;
- integrating IESS into international research networks for environmental monitoring of the environmental pollution processes (the first stage of integrating the lidar complex of the environmental safety laboratory of St. Petersburg State University into the European lidar network);
- functioning of the system of international cooperation of scientific support in conducting survey environmental monitoring (screening) of environmental pollution in the region with new and insufficiently known eco-toxicants by the method of “unknown composition sample”.
- scientific support of procedures for creating lists of priority pollutants to prepare recommendations for the state systems of regime environmental monitoring of the Baltic Sea States.
- maintaining timely electronic IT-bulletin of the data on migration processes of priority pollutants in the environment of the countries in the Baltic Sea Region, mainly in the cross-border aspect;
- timely diagnosis of dangerous changes in the toxicity of transit, depositing and contact media;
- early warning of the threats to environmental safety by the factor of dangerous environmental pollution;
- Exchange of the environmental data within the framework of the international cooperation.
- Creation and practical use of intelligent GIS for situational analysis, assessment and prediction of tendencies of changes in environmental situation in the Baltic Region by the factor of pollution of the territory, zones and objects of ecological risk.
- Preparation and publication of the official Bulletin of environmental safety of the Baltic Sea Region.
- 7. Providing co-operation with other international environmental monitoring systems.
The pilot sample of the Environmental safety Observatory was designed by the Research Center for Environmental Safety of RAS and Saint Petersburg State University. Currently, the installation of the observatory equipment is being completed in St. Petersburg State University.
In 2014, it will be put into operation and it can become the center of international scientific cooperation in the field of environmental safety of the Baltic Sea States.
It may be noted that Russian side has experience in creating a network environmental safety observatory and may provide it as a part of the St. Petersburg Initiative.